April 8, 2008

One Week

My official due date is one week from today.

I suspect this baby will come sometime after her due date, but the reality that it could actually happen at any moment is starting to sink in. I have such a weird mixture of feelings. I'm getting pretty uncomfortable and I'm tired darn near all the time. So in that respect, I'm really looking forward to once again being the sole occupant of this body. But at the same time, I feel like I've finally got pregnancy figured out. I've been doing pregnant for nine months, what's a few more weeks? Parenthood, however, there's a whole new challenge! Early in the pregnancy, I worried that I would somehow fail at being pregnant, that I wouldn't do a good enough job of growing the baby. After all this time, I finally feel pretty confident in my ability to take care of this child while she inside me. Now I'm worrying about my ability to take care of her in the big, scary, outside world.

A mom friend of mine said to me that the fear is a good sign. That if I wasn't afraid, then she'd be worried. I suppose you can't help but worry about the ones you love. And when they are tiny, innocent and helpless isn't it just magnified?

So what's a knitter to do? Knit!

I whipped up this little baby sweater on the fly. After making the baby zombies, I wanted more instant gratification baby knits. I hadn't yet made a sweater for Minnie and was gripped by the urge. I wanted it to be colorful and I wanted to use stash yarn. I dug out some left over Araucania Nature Cotton I'd used years ago and cast on. I knit it as a bottom up, seamless cardigan in about two days. The ties are crocheted chains.

Colorful, instant gratification mission accomplished.